Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lame Mom Move

On Sunday, after church, my three-year-old son was playing with a little spinner toy and taking turns quite nicely with a little girl (the spinner belonged to a third child). Our church meets at a high school, and the kids were running around outside the auditorium. Everything was going swimmingly, until my son got that mischievous grin and tossed the spinner right into the trash can. I managed to take the filthy can top off with one hand--the other was holding my daughter--and was pleased to find that the spinner had landed in a recently replaced and very clean trash bag, right on top of a clean bulletin. It looked germ free to me! So I took it out and handed it to my son's playmate.

A moment later, I saw the girl's dad returning the toy to its owner with instructions to clean it and taking his daughter to wash her hands.

Now I'm the mom who hands dirty trash toys to kids.

And the moral of the story? I'm debating between "not all trash cans are dirty inside," "you can't judge a trash can by its dirty lid, nor the quality of a mom by her cleanliness," and "all moms need grace."

3 comments:

Good Enough Woman said...

Today, at my son's school feast, another little boy wanted more corn. The only ear of corn left was one that had fallen on the ground. I asked him whether or not his mom let him eat stuff that had fallen on the ground. He looked at my funny. I'm all about the five-second rule. Or the 30-second rule.

Lizard said...

hahahaha...oh please...who was it???

Jim, Amanda and Sam said...

A-M,

We're totally with you on that one. It was clean enough! Come on people!

Hope you and your family are doing well. Give a "'sup" to Trevor for us. :-)

JnA