Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Reading Update

I've updated my reading list a bit:

Already read:
1. Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall by Kazuo Ishiguro
2. How to Knit a Love Song by Rachael Herron
3. Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
4. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

In the middle of:
5. Willful Creatures (short stories) by Aimee Bender
6. To Kill a Mockingbird (which I haven't read since freshman year of high school. After half a chapter, I'm convinced it's a book wasted on 14 year olds.)

To read:
7. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
8. Wuthering Heights (in reading solidarity with GEW; another book I haven't read since my youth)


Right this moment I've got Turabian's A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations in my non-typing hand. No so much reading for pleasure, but intro writers Wayne Booth and friends are reminding me what writing an argument is all about. And later I can take a break from my reading to, er, read.

5 comments:

Good Enough Woman said...

Oh! Did you read Wolf Hall? It's GIANT (so I haven't read it), but it might be a great one for you. While I procrastinate, I'm seeking out novels (esp. mystery novels) set in early c18 England, so that I'll have a stack to read when I want to feel like I'm studying even when I'm not.

Rachael Herron said...

Okay, you put my book in a list with Housekeeping and Guernsey LiteraryPPS... Even though mine is fluff and you are sweet to read it, I am SO well chuffed to see it pop up like that in such excellent company on my google alert.
Thank you! :)

Amstr said...

Rachael, I was browsing through my library's new books section for some summer reading, and I saw your book! I've been meaning to find it. (Jenny Ash. sent it to me a link to an article about it--my old roomie from Poly grad days.) I'd never read a published book by someone I was acquainted with. It was a perfect summer read!

Good Enough Woman said...

Amstr, Did I tell you that I read Rachael's book, too? I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm a sucker for fun genre fiction. Also, Rachael did a reading at a local knit shop the night before we left for Hawaii, and since my mother-in-law was in town (and she's a MAJOR knitter and spinner), I took her and my mom and it was fun! Rachael is my writing role model. Her discipline kills me. And her knitting? We won't even go there.

Amstr said...

GEW, I haven't tackled Wolf Hall yet, though I heard and read about it when it came out. I'll have to put it on a reading list soon. I'm thinking of having quarterly pleasure reading lists. I can't imagine it, but I'd hate to sound like my mom someday saying, "I can't remember the last time I finished a book."