Sunday, March 14, 2010

Book of the Month: February. Farmer Boy


We're reading the Little House books to our 4-year-old son, and this one has been my favorite so far. We did have to do a bit of explaining when the school teacher whipped the older boys with the bull whip, and about why kids might deceive their parents by covering up a black mark on the wall with a wallpaper scrap. We had to explain, too, why it was so important for the family to work together--the daily chores, the big projects such as planting or harvesting, getting up without complaint in the wee hours of the morning to save the tiny corn stalks from a late freeze. In this story of Almanzo's growing independence, I was reminded that chores and adult work can be something kids look forward to, a privilege instead of drudgery. I've seen a glimpse of this in our house lately as our kids eagerly pull up chairs to the counter to make our homemade bread. (And we've even started calling store-bought bread "boughten bread.")

Overall, we loved the glimpse into the incredibly busy and work-filled life of the Wilder family. That Ma Wilder puts me to shame.

4 comments:

Good Enough Woman said...

Does "Farmer Boy" come after "Big Woods" or "Prairie"? I think my kids liked "Little House on the Prairie" and "On the Banks of Plum Creek" the best. I'll tell you what: When they are moving from Wisconsin to Kansas in the wagon, Ma has them in cleaned, ironed clothes the whole way (if one is to believe the narrative). I'm such a slacker.

Amstr said...

The order goes "Big Woods," "Prairie," "Farmer Boy" (but about the Wilders, not the Ingallses), "Plum Creek" --and that's as far as we are. I'm actually really enjoying "Plum Creek," though the grasshoppers are freaking me out.

btw--I think someone should make a Google Map that follows their journeys. We tried to look up some maps, but all the Ingalls Wilder fan sites have crappy ones.

Good Enough Woman said...

Oh, man, the grasshoppers! That's hard core.

--ginger. said...

I always believe everything I read about Ma Ingalls. And then I shake my head and go back to being deeply, deeply ordinary. I wish she could just move in, actually, and take over. She could be in charge of all of us. That's an excellent plan.