Sunday, February 7, 2010

February Resolutions: installment #2

Last year I began February resolutions, mostly because it takes me all of January to figure out what I really want to accomplish in the year ahead. Here's this year's list:

-Fitness/Weight: I've managed to maintain my weight over the last 8 months, and I'd like to keep it that way. I've gotten in some bad eating habits and out of some good exercise habits. I'd like to right that.

-Music: My husband and I have been promising ourselves for too many years that we're going to record an album. We've got the gear, we've got a good list of songs, we've got skills enough. We just need to get over our fears, make some time, and record, record, record. Even if it turns out crappy. I also want to practice the banjo at least a few times a week.

-Degree work: I have a conference paper to present in April, an article-length version of that paper due in December, and I'd like to have three chapters of my dissertation drafted by the holidays. But I'd be happy with two chapter drafts.

-House: I've been on a decluttering mission lately. We celebrated the new year by emptying the last of our moving boxes. I've reorganized closets and cupboards. We're finally buying a portable dishwasher, and we just ordered a new bookshelf for our room. I'm going to follow a friend's plan, and aim to have 10% of our stuff gone by the end of the year. (That includes cleaning out the garage.)

-Reading: I want to keep a list of books I've read this year. I've never kept a list before, though I read constantly. I'm curious to see how many books I read.

-Venturing out: I'm quite cozy here at home, and it takes effort to plan things and get the family out the door, so I often opt for staying in rather than going out. This year, I want to do more--family adventures, nights out with friends, playdates, hikes.

The resolution I need to repeat from last year is attempting to keep from being overcommitted. This may mean quitting some stuff. And I hate to back out of things. I'm pretty big on follow through. But years ago a friend taught me to offer grace to her when she just couldn't follow through, and I hope I can learn better how to offer that grace to myself.

Happy February! And may the progress of betterment begin.


2 comments:

Good Enough Woman said...

I am inspired to think about my own list. And I'm wondering if I might be able to match your timeline. It would be nice if we could encourage/support each other on those specific goals. Might help me gauge my pace, too.

Amstr said...

GEW--I'll send you my working timeline. It'd be great to be on a similar schedule!